Once you’ve established your brand in your home market, one of the best ways to grow your business is to expand internationally.
Cross-border ecommerce is a huge growth opportunity. According to a recent study conducted by Flow Commerce, 76% of online apparel shoppers across 8 top global markets have made a cross-border purchase in the prior six months. Statista estimates the global ecommerce market will pass $6 trillion by 2024, with revenues in China expected to have the largest growth rate at a CAGR of 11.6% up through 2024. Similarly, Statista expects that U.S. market revenues will exceed $490 billion by 2024, while revenues in Europe will reach $516 billion in the same time frame.
What Is Cross-Border Ecommerce?
Opportunities of International Ecommerce
- Larger market
Challenges of International Ecommerce
- Fulfilment and Shipping
- Currency and Payment Preferences
- Language and Localization
- Customer Support and Service
What are the Cross-Border Ecommerce Solutions?
1. Fulfilled by Amazon (FBA)
For US & Canadian shops only 🤪
A great way to start your international expansion is to use Fulfillment by Amazon (FBA)
What’s great is that FBA can be integrated with Shopify, giving your customers a great brand experience whilst leveraging Amazon’s powerful fulfillment network
Shopify have created a great article on how to get this setup
There are a few hoops to jump through to get this setup but the main thing is that you have an Amazon Seller Central account and a Shopify Account
Global-e simplifies the process of selling internationally. Its solution cuts through the red tape so you can focus on finding more customers while Global-e handles the complexities around international checkout, tax, shipping and returns.
Here are some of the benefits to using Global-e’s end-to-end cross-border solution:
- Global-e becomes the Merchant of Record – meaning that as soon as the courier has picked up the shipments, Global-e becomes responsible for that package, including delivery and returns.
- Global-e’s integration with Shopify provides a localised checkout and multiple currencies and payment methods.
- Taxes and duties are calculated upfront ensuring there are no surprises from the customer’s point of view.
- You can benefit from Global-e’s economies of scale when it comes to shipping costs.
3. Send Cloud
Under $50,000 / year of international revenue